Vivint Authorized Retailer State College
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering State College & Surrounding Areas

Common causes of residential fires in State College and how to avoid them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

When you own a home, there are a wide range of hazards to consider. Fire is chief among them, as it can occur in any place and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were more than 350,000 noted occurrences. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to avoid them. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in State College.

What causes residential fires in State College?

Fires can sprout up in any location and without warning, whether ignited by a burning cigarette in a waste container or an ignored stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most frequent types of residential fires in State College and all other areas. Unattended stovetops are the chief cause, so always keep an eye on that scorching skillet when making dinner. It’s also important to note that drenching a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Portable heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for lengthy periods can result in inner components breaking down and sparking. Situating heaters by combustible objects like blankets and curtains or using worn cords will also lead to devastating results. Other heating elements, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, might cause fires and ought to be inspected regularly.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overloaded extension cords are a few of the ways electrical issues result in fires. If you detect flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it inspected right away.
  • Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires caused by candles are still commonplace and usually result from people being careless. Placing candles too close to combustible objects like drapes or keeping them within range of a rambunctious pet will lead to disaster.
  • Smoking: Even with the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still a primary fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette in hand or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can give rise to devastating results.

The best way to prevent house fires in State College is to avoid negligent behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t leave a candle unattended, and discard cigarettes properly. If you must use a space heater, do so in short intervals and invest in one that offers an automatic shut-off switch in case it overturns.

Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in State College

You should have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more next to sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety components will not only recognize smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. In addition, considering they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency strikes. This is a nice feature, particularly when you’re not home to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.

Safeguard your home against known risks with a Vivint smart home in State College

Upgrade the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You can custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your cell phone and the peace of mind that comes with professional monitoring. Contact (814) 752-4276 to talk with a Vivint representative.